Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Recycle

(I Don't Feel Like Waking Up This Morning, 2007)

Living in a moment, just not the original.

A photograph is imprint of the past and serves as capsule to our memories. Creating the narrative photograph, whereas the reality of the subject is fabricated, serves to the exact idea of the photograph. When we see an image, that image is no longer in the same context of the moment it is representing, since we weren’t at the time and place of the photograph, and there is no experience of living that moment until your eyes came across the photograph of that moment. We tend to find an understanding of the context since we are only supplied with whatever details the author has given us, and the image itself. Everything else is up to what we can imagine the context to be. Maybe the image tells us of an event we had heard of, and that we are now seeing it from a different perspective, but still the context is not exact, and we are curious to know what face of reality the author has seen. Is the reality not in front of us, with the modesty of the unaltered image? The narrative was born from this relationship that we have with the photograph, having trust in the photograph’s integrity has led us to fabricate our own realities.
And even with my photographs where I have a clear understanding of the original context of the time and space represented, I am no longer the person who took the photograph on that day, I have experienced many moments since then and I been altered myself. When I see my photographs I see my past, but I also see my future, fabricating events that have not happen, perhaps will never happen, and bring myself back to these moments as if living them. But I am not reliving these memories, I am creating new memories with them as create my own narrative with new photographs.

No comments: