Thursday, April 3, 2008

Waiting For ...



I don't get to travel much but when I do I clock a fair amount of time in airports. I'm not the most social person when traveling, so I end up being a silence listener, and in this case, a listen watcher. I sit down and wonder where people are going, who they're seeing, and sometimes I hope that person is traveling my way so I feel we have something now to talk about. That is almost never the case, but I tend to wonder the possibilities when I'm waiting for 4 hours for that flight out of LAX.
These images were taken in May 2007 when I took the 16+ hour trek to see my folks in Maui. There's something about airports that seem so futuristic and at the same time, foreign and cold, maybe its all the air conditioning. But I think its because you're in a city and you never get to really experience it.

2 comments:

Taj Nabhani said...

The best thing about airports, especially when you're in a european one is seeing all the people who work in them. they always seem like the most stereotypical of their people. People watching is also awesome, i wish you could sit in the part before boarding a plan anytime i wanted. The people there are really interesting and i agree it's fun times guessing where they're going and why they're going. The biggest connection you feel is when you travel the exact route as someone else and you see them on every stop of the way, thats happened a couple times for me at least.

BrendanGeorge said...

Funny you should say that Taj because I feel a lot of people up here get their impressions of Americans from when they travel, primarily from airports. I lived in America for half my life and whenever I go into an American airport I feel like a complete foreigner because everyone is in a rush, they don't seem to acknowledge you, and they can sometimes come as hostile. But I think if you're not feeling overwhelmed by being lost in this weird place than you are being aggressive and selfless, trying to get back home or to whereever you're going.